Thursday, October 8, 2009

“I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth.” Gen. 9:13

I never really knew the significance of a rainbow. I just always knew how much I liked seeing them and there was something special about them. Was I in for a big surprise when I learned what God said a rainbow represented. It’s kind of like the light bulb going on. Wow, of course, that’s why we are SO drawn to them and we’re always looking for them after a storm.

Our family has seen some trying times lately. We believe God has laid out a path for my husband’s career. He is passionate and enthusiastic about this direction. More importantly, amazing examples of “God-moments” have been present throughout the journey that led to this direction. I have witnessed true miracles and have literally stood with my mouth dropped in complete awe over many of the incidents of the past year or so. There is not a doubt in my mind that He has this path set for Steve.

With that knowledge, our job is to remain committed to the direction, yield to God’s leading and step out in faith knowing that in God’s time, it will work to His glory. In my broken humanness, however, that is not always easy to do.

One day last week, I was driving to work and allowing myself to fret over the situation. Things haven’t been easy, we’ve cut out a lot, even some necessities frankly. But, we have tried to remain faithful and not let doubts creep in. So on this particular morning, we had had a “big discussion” over finances the day before and it was settling into me where I fear the most. What if world. What if we can’t pay for this, what if we don’t have it for that. The what if’s will kill you if you let them.

So, I’m driving along, fretting and not really paying much attention to everything around me. Something grabbed my attention, however. The song on the radio. It was “Let the Waters Rise” by Mikeschair. The words of the song say –
“Don't know where to begin
Its like my world's caving in
And I try but I can't control my fear
Where do I go from here?

sometimes its so hard to pray
When You feel so far away
But I am willing to go
Where you want me to
God, I trust You"

And, just as I was caught up in those words, I looked out at the mountains ahead. Through a bank of clouds, the smallest sliver of a break appeared and through it sprouted a beautiful, perfect rainbow. I felt God’s presence. I felt peace. I felt security. I felt assured that He is in control and we don’t have to be. I felt protected and loved. I felt the promise He made all those years ago with Noah. A covenant is sacred. God entered into that with us and He always keeps his promises. I can count on that.

I finished my drive with a renewed sense of hope, knowing that He is with us every single step of the way. It’s up to us to hold on, yield and let God be God. And I’m totally okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment