Friday, June 24, 2011

“For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.” 1 Corinthians 3: 11.

I love summer. The heat and I get along pretty well. I especially love that I get to wear flip flops. They’re cute, make fun flippy noises when I walk and I can get a whole wardrobe of them cheap. All pluses in my mind.


In a normal summer, my flip flop wear is limited to weekends and evenings when I’m home from work. Work shoes tend to have a more solid foundation, giving my high arches ample support. This summer, however, I am unemployed. Which, among other things, means that I am wearing flip flops nearly every hour of every day. Too much of a good thing? Yep. I’m finding that the lack of support from the flimsy, flippy foundation has caused pain and discomfort for my soles.

Which got me thinking.

Don’t we sometimes approach our faith and relationship with Jesus that way? It can be so easy to slip into the sandy, unsturdy foundation of life’s distractions that our souls end up aching and lost. I can whip myself into worrying about something I have no business in, losing focus as my eyes come off Jesus and onto some circumstance of life.

Life, like my flip flops, is good in moderation. We should laugh and enjoy life, but always with the solid foundation of our relationship and identity in Christ. When we are firmly connected to the truth of His word, we can filter life through the proper lens and not lose sight of what’s really important – our eternity with Him. Like the inexpensive flip flops I love to wear in the summer, this life is temporary and should be approached as such.

Building life on anything less than the Rock of Christ is risking far too much. Shifting sand feels great on my feet, but I never want to build my life on it.

2 comments:

  1. Great point! I don't know how some can wear flip flops all the time. And I love this analogy for our relationship with Christ. Thanks for the encouragement today!

    Blessings,
    Mel
    Please feel free to stop by: Trailing After God

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. for me, its the less time I spend in the Word, the more scattered my thoughts, the more unsettled I am, the less I get done, the more frustrated I am. Pretty much tells me to - um - read the word?! Lovely post, especially the bit about building on the rock of Christ!
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete