Wednesday, August 17, 2011

“Send me your light and your faithful care, let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell.” Psalm 43:3

You could barely see your hand in front of your face as we made our way. The headlights of the truck were the only beams of light guiding us towards the cabin. Once we arrived and Steve flipped on the lights, we were able to unload and settle in for a weekend in the mountains.


Are you scared of the dark? I am. Sometimes, the dark feels like a heavy, wet blanket threatening to smother me. Fear can become very real in those moments when the light is absent. When I can’t see my way, I lose balance, become uncertain and have trouble trusting.

The Bible tells us that the Lord is the light. When He is in us, our lives become like a beacon pointing others toward Him. He is also lighting our hearts. When we let Him in to the deepest places of our hearts, He can heal, cleanse and restore us.

I spent some time reflecting on many things during our weekend getaway. One of the things that became very clear is even though I’ve said I enjoyed having the summer off with the kids, I wasn’t always living like I believed it. I was around, but wasn’t always in the moment – spending too much time letting myself focus on what I could do to impact when I will find my next job. Some of my fear was still hiding out in a dark corner of my heart. The fear that God isn’t in control of this, even though I know that He is. I needed to confess it as sin and allow His light to cover me, choosing to believe what I already know is true.

Morning in the mountains is a reflection of what He can do in our hearts. When the sun rises, just cresting over the tallest peak, it quickly floods the whole mountainside with brilliant light. Shadows are chased off as trees and leaves begin to sparkle with radiance.

I want my whole heart to be a light for Him. Like the mountainside in the clear, bright morning, I want everything that’s in me to reflect the brilliance of Him. How about you?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not afraid of the dark, per se, but I am afraid of what I can't see: the future. I let myself get so anxious and worked up over things I can't control. You're right---I should just let God do his thing and let his light fill my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah... fear. It is something that creeps in slowly and traps you before you even realize it. We are walking in so many things that could bring spine-weakening fear right now, but are taking those thoughts captive. Not only is it destructive to us, it models something negative for the kids. Great post!

    ReplyDelete