Thursday, July 12, 2012

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?” Matthew 7:3


In the rush to get out the door for baseball practice, my husband forgot to take an important piece of paper. We needed it notarized and someone was going to do that for us at practice. As soon as I realized he had forgotten it, I scrambled to gather myself and our daughter together and head out the door to take it to him – 30 minutes away. 

I grabbed my materials for Bible study – it was my night to lead and this disruption of my schedule frustrated me. Didn’t he know I needed time to prepare? 

After rushing to where I thought he was, I had no luck finding him. Getting more and more frustrated, I had to give up – I was going to be late for Bible study.

(Are you laughing yet? Do you see where I’m going?)

Settling in at our study, I realized that in my own rush out the door, I also had forgotten a piece of paper, the one that contained the Scriptures I was going to use to pray over the group.

Don’t try to tell me God doesn’t have a sense of humor!  Hubba.

Almost immediately, the words to a song I’ve been hearing a lot lately came to mind. Casting Crowns sings “Jesus, Friend of Sinners.” The line is:
“A plank-eyed saint with dirty hands and a heart divided.”

Oh, if that wasn’t me tonight (and lots of other times, too).

But thankfully, God’s message in our study tonight was also for me. We are studying Jonah. Chapter 3, verse 1 says: “Then the word of the Lord came to Jonah a second time.”

On my own, I might have glazed over that verse and missed its meaning. But tonight, our teacher pointed out how merciful and gracious our God is that He continually gives us second chances. And third, and fourth and…

As many as it takes.

Thank goodness. Thank goodness He won’t let me sit there with the plank in my eye. That He will use His word and the examples around me to bring me back to His purpose and His grace. And to show me how to treat those around me as well.

Praise God.


No comments:

Post a Comment