Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.” Proverbs 22:6

Oh boy, is that a lot of pressure or what? As a parent, I fail every day in something. But, there is good news. Amid the failures, trial & error and a TON of prayer, there is success. It actually does get through. I have recently experienced one of my proudest moments as a parent, and one of my most awestruck as a Christian.


We were leaving the store the other evening. As we crossed the parking lot Trevor, my nine-year-old, spotted something and asked if he could go look at it. Sure. He ran over, got very excited and ran back to tell me it was money. I asked what he wanted to do and he didn’t answer. As we stood there, another person walked by, picked it up and kept going. Trevor said, “that’s okay, it wasn’t mine to begin with.” Wait. It gets better.

Later that night when we were talking some more about it, he told me, “Mom, when I went over and saw it was money, it was like a shield was around it.” A shield? “Yes, a shield. And, I heard God’s voice telling me not to pick it up because it wasn’t mine.” Wow. I didn’t know how to respond except to hug him as the tears flowed. We talked about wise decisions and listening to God when we hear Him or feel something in our bellies. He knew exactly what I meant. We did discuss the other option he had at that moment, picking it up and turning it in to the store manager. But, he quickly reminded me that God told him not to touch it. Of course, he was right.

The next morning at Sunday school, his lesson was about temptation and the story in Matthew 4 when Jesus is tempted in the desert. He again told the story of the money and how tempting it was to take it, but God told him not to.

So, not only did he get it, he was able to connect it to other areas of teaching. Wow. Sometimes it all just clicks. Kids really get it! I mean, they are truly tuned in to hear God’s voice and know deep down about that God-shaped hole in all of our hearts. If we can turn their eyes toward Heaven, our job is well done.

That’s not saying we don’t make mistakes. Sure, every day we do. But, our kids really ARE listening and if they are consistently being trained in the way they should go, it will pay off. I know for me, that is a huge encouragement in the face of daily disappointment. Moments like this make me realize how little I know, but how BIG my God is and even when I’m not able to deliver the message perfectly, HE can use it for his glory. That is such a beautiful thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment