Monday, February 1, 2010

“…Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift...

...of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call." Acts 2:38-39


This past weekend, my children and I were baptized! If you ask me, it was long overdue (at least for me), but then again, it’s God’s plan, not mine. He beautifully crafted it so that it was an experience for all three of us, one that none of us will ever forget.

When I look back at the past several years, it’s so easy to see how He has connected the right dots and the right time, bringing amazing people of faith across my path just when I was in a place to receive their message. It’s truly incredible.

When I was very pregnant with my daughter, God brought two wonderful people into my life. Sylvia was a co-worker and her husband, Steve, a pastor. Steve used to come into our office and eat lunch with us. Having him there was like having my own personal life coach. All the questions that I was wrestling with after being raised in the Catholic Church were fair game – Steve and Sylvia had so many answers. I was amazed. Their knowledge and unshakeable faith moved me right into the point of decision. I will never forget when we were interviewing Sylvia we asked her what she would do if she had to decide between the two positions she was up for. She calmly responded that she would pray about it with Steve and let God lead her where He wanted her to be. Wow. I hadn’t ever looked at life that way before. A couple months later, driving along on the way to work listening to Chuck Swindoll preach on the radio, I pulled off and prayed with Chuck at the end of the message.

Not long after, another very special friend told me my faith walk needed to be my priority and was strictly between God and me. That was at a time when I couldn’t understand how I was going to keep growing alone. I thought my whole family needed to share my zeal. I learn and grow much differently than my husband and although I expected him to dive into study with me, that isn’t where Steve’s heart was at the time. And that needed to be okay. Sweet Melinda took me to Borders, bought me “The Spirit-Filled Bible” and turned me loose. She shared with me a glimpse of her faith journey and how it transformed her family – but it took time. It would happen in my family, too, she promised. She was right.


And then, we started attending our church, LifeBridge. A little over a year ago, the Depler family joined our satellite campus as Drew began serving as our minister. Immediately, we knew they were special. Last January, I dove into a Bible study that Drew’s wife, Jennifer, was leading. As if on cue, I immediately was in a situation where I needed prayer and the support of other women. The ladies in my study group barely knew me, but they wrapped their sweet arms around me during a pretty tough time. They prayed, they emailed, they asked, they cared! I was moved to tears the morning of a biopsy when I received an email from Jennifer who told me she had just spent time in prayer for me and wanted me to know she was thinking of me. She had no idea how much that impacted me!

It’s only appropriate that many of these wonderful friends were there with us when the kids and I stepped in to receive the undeserved blessing of being washed clean and made new in Christ. And their love, support and example will live on in me as I continue to take up the challenge of living a life for Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment