Wednesday, June 2, 2010

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

...And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7


Our family received news today that no family wants to hear. The kind of news that takes the wind out of your sails and, if you’re not careful, can cause you to question God. As soon as I received the news, I immediately prayed, asking God to remove this burden. To reach down and touch our beloved with the healing that only He can provide. We need a miracle. A God-sized miracle. So, that’s what I prayed for.

As I drove home tonight, I was thinking more about this situation and talking to Him about my feelings about it, my lack of understanding for the circumstance and my human desire to want it to go away, regardless of His bigger plan. As I thought about this, I felt gentle reminder in my spirit that He is with us, even in this hardship. That He has given us a weapon in the fight. The power of prayer and the powerful name of Jesus. Perhaps His plan is to remove this burden. I don’t know that it isn’t, it's too soon to tell. But, if it isn’t, what is that going to mean for the faith of our family?

Well, for me, I am clinging to the truths that I know from His Word. That He loves us – including my stricken family member. That we are not alone, even in the depths of life-threatening circumstances. That this life is not the end for us. The Bible tells us that we will face trials in this life. But, knowing that we never face those trials alone gives me a focus and purpose that is beyond the circumstance.

In a recent Bible study course, we were asked to write a prayer that focuses on Him and not our circumstances. Here’s what I wrote. “Lord, I praise you. That you would choose to love me, despite my brokenness. And that you would send your Son to a death meant for me, to pardon my debt, is beyond anything I could ever deserve. And yet, you freely offered it to me to simply receive. For that, I praise you. In ALL my circumstances.” I just thumbed back to this prayer in my notes because it reminds me that praise isn’t limited to the good times. It is in all times.

The song, “I Will Rise,” by Chris Tomlin got me through a time of personal trial and potential life-threatening crisis. The words are perfect for this, and any other situation that is beyond our human comprehension.

There's a peace I've come to know
Though my heart and flesh may fail
There's an anchor for my soul
I can say "It is well"

Jesus has overcome
And the grave is overwhelmed
The victory is won
He is risen from the dead

And I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagles' wings
Before my God fall on my knees
And rise
I will rise

There's a day that's drawing near
When this darkness breaks to light
And the shadows disappear
And my faith shall be my eyes

Jesus has overcome
And the grave is overwhelmed
The victory is won
He is risen from the dead

And I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagles' wings
Before my God fall on my knees
And rise
I will rise

And I hear the voice of many angels sing,
"Worthy is the Lamb"
And I hear the cry of every longing heart,
"Worthy is the Lamb"

And I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagles' wings
Before my God fall on my knees
And rise
I will rise

No comments:

Post a Comment