Tuesday, August 17, 2010

“As he walked along, he saw Levi son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax collector's booth. ‘Follow me,’ Jesus told him, and Levi got up and followed him.” Mark 2:14

Follow me. These two, simple yet powerful words got a hold of me. As I read them in Mark 2:14, they gripped something inside. In that passage Levi (Matthew) immediately responded to Jesus’ command. No questions asked. Those words and his response stayed with me. In fact, they have been reoccurring in messages throughout the week. Hmm. Is He trying to tell me something?


As I prayed this week, the words to a song by the Sidewalk Prophets began to stand out. Much like “Follow Me,” the words “Father of love, you can have me” struck a chord in my heart. Last night, as I was driving to pick up my daughter, the song came on. I found myself closing my eyes and singing those words with my whole heart.

It was a “yes Lord” moment. I need to remain fully immersed in His plan and trust that He is all I need. That’s easy for me to say and hard for me to always do. There are bills to pay, my husband and our kids have many needs, there are expectations on me at work. My tendency is to wrap up in those other things too much and forget all that I am equipped to do.

I came back from the Proverbs 31 Ministries She Speaks conference a couple weeks ago full of fire and inspiration. I am still very full, don’t get me wrong. In fact, when I came back, I wanted to lock myself in a closet and just write.

But in all honesty, that is not what the Lord has placed in me either. Yes, I am called to write – He has made that crystal clear. But, I am also called to be a light. And that is found in the other areas of life that are vitally important to being a witness for Him. A witness in my role as a wife, mother, friend, daughter, sibling, employee, encourager and teacher. Those are areas where it should be evident to all I come in contact with that I am following Him. Like Matthew, asking no questions. Perhaps that is the story He’s calling me to live first and then write.

2 comments:

  1. Great insight, girl. How exciting to have a front row seat to watch God show out as you live and follow in obedience!
    Blessings,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog and for your kind words! God is providing an amazing ride! Happy to have a friend like you to share it with. Hugs & Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete