Saturday, September 11, 2010

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing...

...If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.” John 15:5-6

I notoriously run the gas in my car down to fumes before I fill up the tank. This habit has bitten me severely on more than one occasion. Most notably, the day my daughter was born. The day before, I stopped for gas after work. There was some glitch with the debit card reader, so instead of going inside to pay, I got annoyed and left without getting gas. The indicator light was on, but I was certain I could get gas the next morning when my mom and I went shopping for the baby. Oh yes, you know what’s coming!

Sure enough, at 1 a.m. I was in labor. By 4 I thought I’d take a shower to help the pain. At 4:30, my water broke and I knew we were in trouble. With me still soaked from the shower and in crazy pain, we scrambled to car to high-tail it to the hospital. We had a 40-minute drive. Speeding along, my husband realized we had NO gas. Frantically, he stopped, pumped just enough to get us to the hospital and tossed money at the clerk. All the while, I was doing everything I could NOT to have the baby in the car, especially since our 2-year-old son was in the car with us. All I could do was breathe and pray. We pulled in to the emergency entrance at 6 a m. Abby was born at 6:14. It was seriously ridiculous. You would think I’d learn my lesson about filling my tank.

Sometimes that’s how we approach our relationship with Jesus, isn’t it? We go and go, thinking we have everything under control, and wait for the spiritual tank to run on fumes before we stop and pause to refill it. That is such an injustice to Jesus and is so far from the relationship He wants with us.

John’s Gospel records a profound statement from Jesus. In John 15:5, Jesus tells us, “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.” With Jesus, we will bear much fruit – nourished and flourishing for God’s glory. Without Jesus, as He tells us in verse 6, “If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.” I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to wither and dry up. That is what can happen with a dry tank.

He is there all the time, ready and willing. To refresh us. Tor revitalize us. To renew our spirit and be a part of us. When we recognize this and begin to understand just how radically life-changing that truth is, we can’t help but want more of Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment