Tuesday, November 23, 2010

“Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

I was looking up Scriptures on the subject of thankfulness. When I stop and think about all the many blessings I have, I can’t help but be a little overwhelmed. God is so very good.


I have been taking some time to pause this week and really think about the blessings He has bestowed upon my family and me. It brings me to tears and to my knees. Our lives are so richly blessed. We are in an amazing church family who have welcomed us, supported us and encouraged our faith walk. We have been given many opportunities to both share our faith and grow it as well. We are learning things as a family that are drawing us closer to one another and closer to God.

That’s not to say it’s been an easy road this year. It really hasn’t. We’ve faced financial challenges, job security issues, some serious health problems and even the general busyness of life that, at times, threatens to split us apart just in order to cope with it all.

But, through those challenges, I’m learning more and more to give thanks in all circumstances because every time we do, we see God take what we think is a potential disaster and work it for good. Is it comfortable? Absolutely not. Would I take any other option in the moment? Absolutely yes. But, I’m learning to pause, and separate myself from the circumstance and choose to have a thankful heart because I can trust that He is with me and He does have a plan for me that is for His glory. That can get us through some of the most trying situations.

I think that today I am living closer to Him in obedience than I was even a few years ago. And, I still have a ways to go. But, even so, the steps in obedience that I know I have taken have been beautifully rewarded over and over. Now, that’s definitely not the motivation to obey. That is a sheer blessing from our Lord because He is pleased with the step in faith. I’ve seen it so much this year. Things haven’t always worked out like I thought they might. In fact, this is the case more often than not. But, what ends up happening when my will is submitted, yields to a greater purpose from Him that I could have never imagined.

Today, as I rejoice, pray and give thanks many things come to mind. He has given me a beautiful, loving and supportive family. God has given me a platform to bring Him glory and for that, I am so, so grateful. He has directed people to read these words and have their lives impacted by them. He has opened doors I would never have thought to knock on. He has grown the seeds planted into a small, but growing ministry, in His time. He has surrounded me with a group of friends and fellow believers, who encourage, strengthen, challenge and teach me daily. He has nurtured the faith of my family and brought us closer to Him. I could go on and on.

He has blessed me with YOU, and for that, I cannot begin to express my gratitude. I pray that you continue to see the touches of His presence in your life this Thanksgiving and always. Of course, the most important blessing of all is the gift of salvation that is freely given. For that, I am eternally grateful and ever humbled by.

How has He blessed you? Please share your thoughts!

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment