Tuesday, July 19, 2011

“You have made your way around this hill country long enough; now turn north.” Deuteronomy 2:3

What mountain are you circling? It is so easy to get caught up in the ease of status quo, isn’t it? Life throws a lot of curveballs at us and oftentimes, it’s just plain easier to let the battle wear us down instead of fend off the attack and forge ahead.


Times like:
• Job loss
• Rejection
• Injury or illness
• Self-control issues
• Stepping out in faith

Oh, yes, the enemy would have us slip into a vat of self-pity and wallow there until we are rendered useless. Pulling up our boot straps, trusting God and going forward is difficult. But that’s just what the Bible tells us to do.

The Israelites wandered around for 40 years, and essentially rendered themselves useless with their lack of trust and faith. Even though they had seen first-hand the promises of God come true – His protection and provision for them were unmistakable – and yet, they squandered away for decades.

Turn north. Get out of the pattern you are in and step forward. Yes, that is my heart’s desire. Whatever He has called us to do, we must do. If we are to be the light we say we want to be, our lives need to reflect our faith. Staying in a circular pattern because it’s easier than making changes or stepping out in faith is not the way. It’s the way of complacency.

I don’t know about you, but that is not good enough for me. He has placed a call on my heart and He is the last one I want to let down by not following through. Sure, it’s hard. There will be rejection, attack and questions I cannot answer. But, in the end, I answer to Him. And when I am standing before Him, I don’t want my life to be a series of unfulfilled circles. I want it to be a path that leads to Him, that points others to Him and that fulfills His will for my life.

What about you? Are you circling or are you ready to turn north? All it takes is the first step.

5 comments:

  1. patti! this is my first time here! i love it!

    i know you posted this last week, but i needed to hear it today.

    love this. thank you.

    you are so precious! loved getting to meet you last weekend!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I have been circling one particular mountain since 2010 She Speaks and now believe missing the 2011 conference is God telling me it is time to stop circling and head north. This post is such a confirmation. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great encouragement! I've circled far too long...heading North now.

    Praying for you as you head North too!

    P.S. enjoyed being in your group at She Speaks - I'm still processing all that I received :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, ladies! I'm so happy you were blessed by this post! MK - LOVED meeting you! Amber & Jamie - being in the eval group was a divine appt, I think! You inspired me. :)Patti

    ReplyDelete