Thursday, May 7, 2009

And God Said… Genesis 1:3

Three pretty powerful words, really. Recently I bought myself the NIV Women’s Devotional Bible. I’ve had several different Bibles over the years, but I really wanted one that would be more portable, my sole motivation. Boy, was I in for a treat with this one! Portable and pretty, yes. But really powerful! Something about this translation, combined with the daily readings, really brings the Word to life for me. I have been more inspired and connected since beginning this version than ever before.

I was working on a daily reading and it featured Genesis 1. Those three words, “And God said...” really struck me. I was seeing them and understanding them in a whole different way. Yes, He made everything – pretty amazing and hard to grasp in itself. But beyond that, He also said yes. Yes to coming to Earth in human form and yes to unbelievable pain, suffering and punishment, just so that our sins could be forgiven and we might have freedom from sin – not to mention a key to the door to Heaven. Wow, I don’t know about you, but that is an extremely gracious and generous gift in my book!!

Most people who know me pretty well know that I dabble a little in poetry. I have been blessed with very kind family and friends who encourage it, mostly because it becomes a somewhat creative Christmas card every year. I hope people find it a little entertaining – at least they tell me they do!

Well, when I pondered those three words, “And God said…” I found myself frantically writing down what is either a poem, or possibly lyrics. Now, I am no musician for sure. But, I hope that possibly one day, someone with that gift might be interested in some of my “poetry” to work into worship songs. There are a few folks on our worship team at church who write music. Maybe one of these days I’ll be brave enough to strike up a conversation and share eventually. Or maybe my favorite Christian artist, Chris Tomlin, will see some of it here and want to write his next big hit! (Hey, I can dream, right?) In the meantime, I’ll continue jotting the ideas down in my journal.

But since I brought it up, I’ll give you just a taste of “And God Said”

And God said

He made the earth
He made the sky
He made all things
that walk and fly

And He made you and I

He made the way
He bore it all
He paid the price
He took the fall

And he loves you and I

(chorus)
And God said
For you I will
And through my life
You can be still
Reach out and take
The gift at hand
And forever more
Together we will stand

There’s more, but you get the idea!
I hope you enjoy – until next time,
Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment