Friday, August 21, 2009

"For the Lord is the great God, the great King above all gods...

...In his hand are the depths of the earth, and the mountain peaks belong to him. The sea is his for he made it, and his hands formed the dry land." Psalm 95: 3-5.

I love to sit in the window seat when I fly. It’s funny, too, because I have a real fear of heights. But, there is something incredibly breathtaking about peering out over the vast horizon from 35,000 feet that instills more awe than fear in me. I never feel as small as I do when I’m on an airplane. I live in Colorado and travel often to northern California for work. This is only important to mention because of the terrain that is covered in that flight. We spend the majority of the flight over the mountains and vast areas of largely unpopulated areas.

I also feel very connected to God when I fly for some reason. I think it may have something to do with the utter helplessness of being in a vessel that for all practical reasons, should not be “up there” and yet, somehow, through that combination of engineering and aerodynamics and many other technical things, is flying across the sky. I also get that strong connection because of the amazing view from the window.

I was making that trek from Denver to northern California the other day. I was peering out over the expanse of the Rocky Mountains and thought this must be a small glimpse of God’s eye view. He looks down on this incredible planet that He created and sees it all from the highest of highs to the depths within our souls.
That’s got to be quite a view. When I look out and see nothing but

rocky terrain with no trace of human existence, it makes me very aware of how small and insignificant I am.

And yet, even as small and insignificant as I can whip myself into thinking I am, God cares and has a plan and a purpose for me and every other person on this planet. My surrender to Him is the key and the release. That’s a pretty big thought in itself.

For me anyway, seeing that view from 35,000 feet helps keep me focused on how great He is and how grateful I am that even though I am miniscule by comparison, He loves me. And, unlike that airplane unfathomably suspended in the air with no safety net, I have hands of the maker of the mountains, sea, land and all the universe tenderly holding me always. And it feels wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment