Tuesday, August 25, 2009

…let us go right into the presence of God with sincere hearts fully trusting him… Hebrews 10:22, NLT

Most days when I drive to the office, I have THE most amazing view. The Rocky Mountains are just to the west of us and I drive straight at them on my way to work. Wow, it’s take-your-breath-away spectacular. Normally, that catapults me right into an overwhelming sense of the presence of God. How can it not?! I love it because I’m usually blaring a Chris Tomlin anthem on the stereo and I just feel completely in awe and all the dots connect. The view, coupled with some of the best imaginable worship music is downright awesome! Isn’t it interesting how there are just those times when you are so aware of God’s presence?

Here’s an example of that view – this literally stopped me in my tracks one day. So much so that I purposely got us early the next morning (a Saturday) and drove back because I had to try and capture it. I call scenes like these “God moments.”

But then, there are days like today. When driving that normally stunning route is just plain ordinary. When the mountains are covered with clouds and their beauty is hidden from view. It forces me to look “closer to the ground.” Today, I did just that, which is not what I would typically do. But, in that moment, I had a choice – I could either lament over not seeing the mountains, or I could look lower and relish the countless other God-given views that were also in my sight. Like the wild flowers growing in a clump on the side of the road. Or the birds and butterflies that were hovering around. Or the other drivers making their morning trek to the office or school, or somewhere else. Even the unusual coolness of this August morning gave reason to be thankful and in awe.

It also made me take a little time and look inward. Am I allowing His presence to be a part of everything, not just the take-your-breath-away moments? Honestly, no. Many times I stumble. I think I can handle it or I simply get going too fast and forget to take that deep breath and center on Him before responding, deciding or acting. That’s when I realized that I need more of the second part of this verse – a sincere heart that fully trusts Him. Oh, how I pray that He will work with me on that!

Today, with the clouds blocking the view, I was forced to look both closer to the ground and inward. There were some areas that were clear and relevant to me where I know I need less of me and more of Him. I’m grateful for His presence, even when the view isn’t crystal clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment