Wednesday, March 10, 2010

“She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue.” Proverbs 31:26

Friends, this is a bit of an unusual entry. There is something that has been on my heart for a while, and I’ve been wrestling with what I believe is a nudge from God. Why have I been wrestling? I really don’t have an answer! I guess it’s because it requires me to something that I am a bit uncomfortable with. I know what you’re thinking, ‘doesn’t that happen a lot when God is moving?’ It puts you in a place where you will likely have to step out in faith and possibly do things that are uncomfortable.

Last night, I was praying about this specific area. As I sat there talking to God about this tug on my heart, a peace came over me. Then, I felt moved to open my Bible. I was stunned. The title of the daily reading plan was “Written on our Hearts.” I read through that section and thought, okay, maybe God’s telling me something, but I’ll just move to the next day. Guess what the first four words of that section were? “Put it in writing!” Um, okay, God, I think I get it. Read on, dear friends!

Proverbs 31 Ministries is a Christian ministry geared toward women and provides a wealth of resources from daily devotions, a radio program, speaking events, conferences, a monthly magazine, resources, online communities, and Gather and Grow groups.

One of the annual conferences put on by P31 is She Speaks. She Speaks is a life-changing event for women seeking to explore the tug on their hearts to reach out to the world for Jesus. In its ninth year, She Speaks encourages and equips women as they communicate God's Word through writing, speaking and leadership. There is a specific “track” for writers – my specialty.

The writing track covers everything from basic writing guidelines to preparing an article or manuscript for submission, and everything in between. In addition, the opportunity to meet one-on-one with some of the top editors, publishers, and literary agents in the Christian market.

Is it just me, or does that sound great? Oh my, I get so excited just thinking about it! Last year, I started this blog in response and obedience to the blessing that God has given me in the form of written word. I’m grateful that He gives me words that touch people’s hearts and has provided this platform to do so. Well, once I started the blog, I realized there is a lot more I can be doing to share the gift. About that time, I was reading (again) about She Speaks. At that point, it was just too late to try and muster up the money to go, so I put the dream on the back burner.

Well, this year, I don’t believe I can push it off again! That tug feels more like a pull. The biggest hurdle (for me, not for God) is the cost. The fee is $575 (based on double occupancy) plus air travel. The conference is July 30-August 1 in Concord, NC. There is a pre-conference writer’s track for another $125. Here’s the part that makes me a bit uncomfortable. I’m asking for you to prayerfully consider helping me attend the conference.

The Lord has obviously laid it on my heart to attend this year. I trust He will provide a way financially for me to go, and I would like to invite you to be a part of this life-changing conference! Will you prayfully consider partnering with me through a financial contribution towards a scholarship that will allow me to attend?

If your answer is yes, there are two ways to participate. You can call Proverbs 31 Ministries at 877-731-4663 to contribute or send a check payable to Proverbs 31 Ministries to:

Proverbs 31 MinistriesShe Speaks Scholarship/Patti Hazlett
616-G Matthews-Mint Hill Road
Matthews, NC 28105

Please be sure to designate the scholarship in my name in order to credit my scholarship fund. The sweet ladies at Proverbs 31 have set up an account to track my donations. You will be receipted for your tax-deductible donation. For more information: http://www.shespeaksconference.com/index.htm.

The last bit of Scripture that I read last night was this: “To man belong the plans of the heart, but from the Lord comes the reply of the tongue.” Proverbs 16:1. It was headed up with “God gives us words.”

I gratefully thank you and pray for you to be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment