Wednesday, March 24, 2010

“They do not fear bad news: they confidently trust the Lord to care for them.” Psalm 112:7

The landscape changed. And I mean changed dramatically. I make several trips to and from Denver International Airport every month for my job. Normally, it’s a pretty mundane, 35-40 minute commute, depending on traffic. The landscape is highway, some rolling hills and a few subdivisions, nothing too difficult. I can usually get there without even thinking about it – it’s like having autopilot in my car.


Well, last night, I flew in from California and landed pretty much in a blizzard. It had snowed about 4-6 inches already, the wind was blowing like crazy and it was cold! It was dark before I got to my car after trudging through the windy, snowy parking lot. It took me 10 minutes just to clean enough of the heavy, wet slop off my car to begin to drive. As I made my way out, even the radio was having trouble connecting. So I turned it off and decided silent concentration might be best. And, as I made my way onto the roadway that I am so familiar with – everything looked different. Even the lane markers were gone. There was nothing to guide me along. Several minutes into the drive, I had a realization and spoke it out loud. “The landscape has changed!” All my familiar landmarks were invisible – you couldn’t even tell where the hills ended and the sky began the cloud ceiling was so low, and the snow was blowing so much. Friends, it was downright scary.

As I realized that I couldn’t rely on myself and my knowledge of the route, I began to relax a little. Really. Because amid that thought revelation, I also felt the reassurance that I was not alone in that car. I had help and I should never think I have to rely on just myself to know the route. I had the maker of it all as my GPS! God was giving me just enough visibility to keep going. Just enough vision to know where on the road to be, even though the normal lanes were gone. I had to slow down to a near crawl to make headway, so I was able to spend time talking to God during the trip. I was remarking that His power is truly awesome – and that power comes in so many ways. The incredible power of a blizzard or other storm is nothing compared to what our God is able to do. In that moment, I was thinking that nothing I have faced or will face in this life is too big for Him.

As He safely and gently led me home, I thought about the parallel to our lives. The landscape will change – whether the landscape is health, finances, relationships, our country, and any number of other things – He is in control of it and we need not fear. This is not the end of it by any means. The storms are going to come. The storms will threaten us beyond our comfort. We need to lean on Him who holds it all together to safely and gently lead us home.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Patti. I enjoyed all you shared here. Popped over from Lysa's! I pray God leads you perfectly....just as He did home from the airport. If you are to be at She Speaks, He will make your way!

    Warmly,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete