Thursday, May 13, 2010

“…I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.” Psalm 84:10

Have you ever been in a dark room and opened the door on a really bright, sunny day? The kind of day that is so brilliant you have to bow down and shield your eyes from it? That’s what comes to my mind when I think about being a doorkeeper for the house of God. An interaction that is so intense you physically cannot just stand there. I’ve been blessed beyond measure to have had a few of those kinds of encounters. And, believe me, there were doorkeepers involved. People whose sole intent was to use their gifts and talents to throw open the door so that others could encounter God. Encounters so strong I was left without words – full of joy, emotion and overpowering love for the Father – and wanting more.


I listened to a message that went into great depth talking about doorkeepers and the speaker talked about several who were named in the Bible. That’s pretty remarkable. People whose sole role was to pave the way for others to see the goodness of God and be forever changed by it. I’ll admit, there are lots of names in the Bible that I have just glazed over in reading “looking for the real message.” But as was clearly demonstrated, those people are named in THE BIBLE. And for good reason. They are an example to us of what our role on this earth should be. Hearing it put that way really made me stop and think.

What am I doing every day to open the door to those around me? Am I reflecting the light that is just beyond the door so that others may see Jesus through my life? Do I represent Him in my everyday interactions? Honestly, not always. And some days, not at all. That makes me sad. Sad because who knows what opportunities to point someone towards Jesus were missed because I couldn’t or wouldn’t hold the door open? My role in this life is to use the talents, abilities and opportunities that He blesses me with to show Jesus to the world around me. Whether that is in interacting with my kids, other parents, my co-workers or people I meet along the way, I should be ready for the chance to demonstrate grace, love and compassion. The same grace, love and compassion that Jesus shows me every day.

So, I am striving more to hold open the door so that the brilliance of His light and love will shine through and reflect on Him. Less of me and more of Him, just the way it ought to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment