Thursday, December 31, 2009

“Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality…

…Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited. Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.” Romans 12:12-18

Setting goals. It’s just not something that has ever come naturally to me. I have to do it every year for my annual review and I have to say, it is painful for me! I know a lot of people spend time at the end of every year reflecting and setting goals for the new year. Last week, I spent time reflecting and was riveted by the awesome power of God’s hand in my life and the lives of my family. So I thought, perhaps this was the year I’d start setting some goals for myself. New decade, new perspective, why not?

I asked myself a few questions to get me thinking. How am I living gracefully? What do I need to change? What do I need more/less of? These questions got my mind racing in numerous directions. So I started listing some of the things that were floating around in my mind. Spend more time in the Word; make more time for my family; practice patience and good will; spend less time in rebellion; be kinder; choose words more wisely; don’t let anger rise up uncontrolled; be a better example. Wow, the list is pretty long and kind of all over the map.

As I sat there feeling a little overwhelmed by my huge list and what to do with it to make goals that were measurable and hopefully, achievable, I decided to put it aside and dive into my Bible reading plan for the day. I was a little behind, so I had a few days worth to cover. Of course, that is exactly what God wanted me to do because in the middle of those readings was this section of Scripture. As I read it, the words just leapt off the page into my heart. They were alive!
As they echoed around in my head, it was so clear! While MY list looks scattered and overwhelming, God’s list isn’t.

Those few key words of instruction summed up what I was fumbling around with trying to write it myself. Interestingly, my Bible gives that section of Romans a one-word title: LOVE.

I pondered that title for a while. Love covers it all. Of course it does! Because God is love, what more do we need? It is our charge to live life in that love and nothing else. For me, I will print off those verses and put them in a few prominent places so that I am reminded daily that I have a choice. To love or not to love. It covers everything on my list and then some. My prayer is that love wins out this year, and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment