Friday, March 18, 2011

“Turn to me and have mercy on me; grant strength to your servant…” Psalm 86:16a

Yesterday was one of “those” days. You know what I mean? The kind of day that you just struggle to get through, like there’s a cloud hanging over your head waiting to open up and pour rain on you at any minute. I’ve been fighting a really nasty cold for nearly two weeks and the past few nights, I’ve had coughing fits keep me up most of the night. The night before had been particularly restless. I think I slept about two hours, interrupted.


Needless to say, I felt foggy, and not great with the cold. I kept trying to be productive with the time during the day but every time I started something, I just felt worn down. I kept thinking that it would all be okay once I got to Bible study. Our evening group is wrapping up “Breaking Free” with Beth Moore and it has been an incredible study. Sure enough, just as I was getting ready to leave, my husband called from baseball practice, nearly an hour away, to say our son had accidentally locked the keys in the truck. No Bible study – I needed to run spare keys to him so the boys could get into the vehicle.

As I was driving back home, I was really struggling. I couldn’t even sing along with the radio to the worship music that was playing – something I absolutely love to do when I am alone (because no one can hear me!). When I got home, I peeked at my phone and saw the Twitter feed of an acquaintance I met through Proverbs 31 Ministries.

Her text said she was taking a break. She closed with “Sometimes living free is knowing when you need to pull away and just hang w/God.” That just grabbed me. That was exactly what had been missing in my day. I needed to just “hang with God.” So, I sat at the counter with my Bible open to the Psalms and my journal next to it. It was peaceful. It was calming. I felt the love of my Father settling my restless and rest-less spirit.

In my Bible was a card. Something I picked up at a conference months ago. This verse in Psalm 86 is written on it. It was just the message I needed last night. What do you need to hear today? Ask Him. He’ll answer.

2 comments:

  1. So glad your keys were locked in the truck! I can see how He used that to shepherd you to green pastures and quiet waters.

    Psalm 16 is one of my favs!

    Love, Sam (from P31)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Longing for hubby to come home so I can head upstairs with my Bible and just relax with Him.

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete