Tuesday, September 13, 2011

“He replied, ‘Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”’ Matthew 17:20

Jesus’ words are so clear they almost sting as I read them. Sting because I’ve been trying to move mountains by myself. I’ve been focusing on the mountains themselves rather than the maker of those mountains.


While well-intentioned, I am not God. And even though I am motivated out of love, the work is not for me to do. This is a hard lesson to learn. Apparently, it is one I need to learn over and over.

Can you relate?

My well-meaning heart wants to:

• Fix the problems I see.
• Push ahead and find answers to what I see are my challenges.
• Step out ahead of God and His plan for my life.
• Rescue those who are making bad choices.
• Confront and try to save the lost because they are my loved ones.

Yet, when I read the words of our Savior, I am gently reminded that only He can move mountains. My role in the equation is simple, but difficult. I am to have faith.

• Faith requires no outward action on my part, it is an internal choice.
• Faith means that I choose to believe and trust that He is more than capable.
• Faith tells me to release that person, circumstance, issue, challenge or choice to Him.
• Faith asks me to pray.
• Faith says be still.

Friends, it is not easy to choose faith. But, Jesus tells us that when we do, He can and will move mountains. And when He does, what will that do for our faith?

No comments:

Post a Comment