Monday, September 5, 2011

Revisiting a past post - Believe

Friends, I wanted to share with you this post. I wrote it a few months ago, but took it down because I wasn’t sure about it. This week, I found myself stumbling a little bit, thinking of ways to “settle” in my hunt for employment. Sure enough, God spoke in a way I knew had to be him. Just after having a conversation in which I started thinking about settling just so I could find something, the bracelet I talked about in this blog simply fell off my wrist. As I picked it up off the floor, I realized God was saying no, do not settle. I have this. Your job is to believe. Read on.




“You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.” Isaiah 26:3

Oh what truth in those words! For the past couple of weeks, this verse has melted into every fiber of my being and, praise God, has taken hold in a way that is difficult to express.

If you happened to read my last post, I wrote about my daughter and how her life has run parallel with my faith journey. Eight years ago, I returned to work from maternity leave to find my position eliminated. At the time, it nearly devastated me. Looking back on it, I could see God’s hand in it all along, I just didn’t have the faith or trust in Him to know that it was all part of His plan for my life.

In perfect timing, right after writing that post and thinking about that time in my life for the first time in a long while, my latest position was eliminated, and again, I find myself in a time of what could be called turmoil.

But, this time was different. Unlike eight years ago, I KNOW He has a plan for my life and that it is not only good, it is His perfect plan. Come with me on a little journey.

The last business trip I took was to Phoenix for a meeting. On the flight, a lady sat in the middle seat, saw my Bible study materials and asked me how I liked it. I’m not typically a talker on a flight and, at first, I tried to be just cordial enough to get to where I could dig into my study as I was behind. But, she was so sweet and something nudged me to keep talking, so we did. We chatted about my kids, her grandkids, our mothers, the Bible study and her recommendations about what study I should pursue next. When we landed, she asked for my card, saying she wanted to send me something. After arriving in Arizona, I learned my meeting was canceled. I began to wonder if meeting her was the true purpose for the trip.

One morning, I checked my mailbox when I got to the office. A box was in it. It was from my flight friend! Inside was a note saying what a blessing our conversation on the plane was and that if I was going to do the Bible study we talked about, I was going to need “this.” “This” was a beautiful handmade bracelet with a bead that read “believe.” I was stunned, in tears and overflowing with love. Later, at lunch, I was praying and said, “whatever the next step is, God, I’m in. No matter what it is, where you want me to go, I’m yours.”

An hour later, I got the phone call about my job being eliminated. As I hung up the phone, I prayed again. Asking for peace and wisdom, I felt completely calm. I KNEW this was God’s way of taking me off a path that wasn’t right for me anymore.

In the time since, I’ve had affirmation after affirmation that I am right in the middle of the road that He wants me to be on. That the plans he has for me are good and that His peace is the peace I can wrap my mind around.

My study Bible says of this passage that although we will have strife and trouble in this life, we can be a steady and stable force when we remain in Him (paraphrased). My thoughts and trust are with the One who knows everything, created everything and has nothing but my best interest at heart. So, though I walk through a period of uncertainty, I know that it is nothing that I am facing alone. He is holding me by the hand, guiding every step and working in the middle of my circumstances for His glory.

What about you? Are you in perfect peace in the midst of your circumstances?



No comments:

Post a Comment