Thursday, September 1, 2011

Jesus replied, “No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.” Luke 9:62

Just looking down at the water was enough to scare me off. As I stood on the teeny diving board suspended far too high above the water, I knew I couldn’t do it. Trying as hard as I could not to throw up, I gingerly made my way back to the steps and climbed down.

Have you ever been so scared you were frozen? That’s how I was that day. I was probably 12 or so and we had gone to a pool with a “high dive.” The idea of plunging into the water from that height sent shivers down my spine.

Thinking about that time in my life, I wonder how many other things I’ve avoided because I was too frozen or scared to plunge in?

When it comes to faith, don’t we all sometimes climb back down the steps of the ladder because the fear of the unknown of jumping in with all our might is too scary?

But that’s just what Jesus challenges us to do.

He doesn’t want my toe-in-the-water faith. He wants me all in – over my head and completely depending on Him, following where He leads.

I have to admit, I have a tendency to start strong and trail off, distracted by other things. Or, worse, I tend to back off when it gets hard.

When I study this passage in Luke, and the entire section (Luke 9:51-62), I get really uncomfortable. Because I, like the people in the passage, say I really want to follow Christ, but I can let other things take my focus off him. So, I’m praying.

Father, I pray that following you becomes the sole desire of my heart. I pray you will fill me with your Holy Spirit and the discernment to know where you are leading every day. I choose to follow you today, tomorrow and every day you give. Give me the strength to keep my eyes on you and trust that no matter where You lead, I will follow. Even if that means jumping off the high dive.


2 comments:

  1. "I have to admit, I have a tendency to start strong and trail off, distracted by other things. Or, worse, I tend to back off when it gets hard."

    I can relate. I feel like I'm constantly hitting "restart." Desiring slow, steady, and consistent, and grateful His mercies are new every morning in the meantime! Thanks, P.

    ReplyDelete